Sunday, May 13, 2007

Annual Woes

So every May is the cats Annual Vaccination, one day a year I have to manage to take all 4 to the vet's office & ensure that they're vaccinated against rabies & other deadly diseases. We have done this successfully for the last 4 years so why should it be different this year...but it was!

All my planning was undone by the 2 ultra smart females (why couldn't thaku give birth to 4 boys, my life would have been so much simpler...guys are dumber...fact of life...I love them all, but the guys are more attached to me than the girls who always prefer my brothers)

Everything was in place, appointment set for Saturday afternoon at vets office, K said he'd come over to help me carry the rascals. We got the baskets all ready while all 4 were snoozing lazily away in the afternoon ...plan was to carry Jerry & Pinks in Trip # 1 and Girly & Tangy in Trip #2.

Of course in life..things never go as planned. Girly has taken to sleeping on the inaccessible loft (inaccessible to humans i mean...she happily jumps from the washing machine to the loft in one very graceful leap) and pinks decided the top of the cupboard was her spot for the day.

That left both the boys....luckily both were sleeping...fast asleep on my bed [or is it theirs?...i wonder...cause they spend more time on it than me...how does one decide ownership of something...somehow i always end up feeling like they are sharing their bed with me (rather than vice versa...why??)]

While I wrestled with fitting Jerry in the basket, K picked up a fast asleep Tangy & put him in the second basket. Tangy is usually very frisky...he'll keep trying to get out of the basket, so its always a struggle to ensure that he stays put. He gave K a rough time, kept putting his paw on the lid & raising it enough to peek outside. Finally K got the basket tied up & him safely inside.

Jerry howled all the way to the vet, cab driver was very amused by it all. Tangy was quite sleepy, he seemed to enjoy the cab ride & while is usually very vocal on all these journeys was unusually quiet y'day. He'd emit a howl or two just to let Jerry know he was there too.

Injections were given, return journey was again done with Jerry announcing his displeasure at this interruption of his afternoon nap. We tried to lure the girls with cat food, but they were not budging. Finally we just gave up. I'll have to manage to catch & take both the girls on my own in the coming week. (I have no idea how I'm going to accomplish that)

Jerry ran out of the house as soon as he was let out of the basket (methinks to vent his fury...I hope it was spent on something rather than someone) he was back in an hour, and i was forgiven for all the pain he endured.

The rest of my weekend has been spent with salt water gargling, gulping kanthil, drinking hot water in this immense heat.....why u ask....sorethroat (nasty one since friday) I even picked up some strepsils as a last ditch solution, let it kill all the organisms. I'm fine with that. Anything to stop the pain, throat is painful & sore.

Decided to ditch all the rules & had a cool glass of wine for lunch. Mothers Day today, so got some flowers for mom & ordered some food. It was too hot in afternoon to venture out for lunch.
S is making omlettes for dinner, he gets into these cooking moods at times, I had scrambed egg at around 11pm on Wed night. S had made some for himself, it looked so temptingly yummy that I succumbed & had some. He makes great pasta too, loaded with cheese.

How i miss those times, when all of us as a family would eat scrambed eggs or pasta made by S at some godawful hour at night. Usually after watching some movie...all of us would talk late into the night. We had some really good times as a family. Even Micky our dog would join in & munch away with us.

I'm getting all misty eyed & nostalgic. Now both Mick & Dad are gone.....I miss them both so much. Dad I don't think I'll stop missing....ever. It was strange but I couldn't pet a dog after Mick died for almost a couple of years, everytime a dog came near me I'd start crying. I'd miss him so much. I can't imagine getting another german shephard, if i ever do get a dog it'll be another breed for sure.

Not that I'm thinking of getting one anytime soon, the cats are enough for now. I'd be worried about them doing something to the poor puppy.

As for me I hope the vaccination gods are on my side this week cause it has to be done. Any ideas on luring the girls will be welcome.

2 comments:

Kits said...

Tuna crackers, big fat fish amongst other thngs like pleading looks!

Shilpi!! Cool wine for lunch...tchtch..boozard ur becoming! :D

U shd be worried abt the cats dng things to the puppy or maybe they will shower him with love..animals r wierd sometimes..ask Boy story abt tiger and bleating goat!

Spikedelik said...

Ahem...dumb guys eh! (raised eyebrows)!!!