Sunday, December 2, 2007

Undying Spirit

Feeling so lucky since yesterday after watching Sitara Devi's kathak performance. She is in her 80's but her spirit is surely undying. She was so feisty and brave to dance for us. It was an amazing experience, one that will stay in my memories for a lifetime.

It is very hard to meet someone like her, so forthright & bold. She reminisced about some of her older performances one where she danced for 12-13 hrs. It had me wondering what must she have been like when she was younger. Bolder than this or more muted; a milder version perhaps of the woman I saw yesterday.

Whatever she was I'm quite sure she has always been unforgettable!

Which made me think; aren't all of us unforgettable in our own ways. We each of us have something that makes us very unique and imprints itself in our thoughts when we think about that person. Isn't that what we all leave behind. A bit of ourselves with everyone we meet.

And aren't we lucky when we find that most people we know are that unforgettable. Imagine living with people who are completely boring with no personalities and no thoughts. Imagine finding yourself surrounded by people who are completely forgettable. I'm sure each & every one of us knows many such people who live life like ghosts. Who go thru the motions of life without really living each moment.

Who crib & cry about the injustices of life when life really hasn't thrown any challenges their way. What happens to them when they do find themselves challenged i wonder. Do they cope or buckle?

I think I've been very lucky with friends and family till date. Each and every one is unforgettable. They all have their imprints on my life. I hope the luck continues with lovers as well.

3 comments:

Kits said...

I love this post. Brings to mind wot I said abt Deepi when she went abroad. She kept telling me abt all the wonderful ppl she was meeting. Reminded her tht they were meeting here too - if u get my pt! She was influencing the course of those ppl's lives and changing them for the better coz tht is the kind of person she is :)

Loved yur last line darling..U deserve the best there is :D

Spikedelik said...

A very nice read... indeed!
What Sitaraji empitomized for me was the 'Never Say Die' attitude in a very literal way. She knew she wasn't doing 10% of what she used to be capable of... the audience knew that, but the beauty of the fact that... both she and us, enjoyed it, as if it were the greatest recital in action!

I second Kits about the last line. May you find immediate and a wonderful success with Operation TOM KAT!

Vipin said...

Very nice post as usual; you should write more often. Sitara Devi was fabulous. I agree with Kits about last line. Of course you will always have the best life has to offer :)